Future Calling!Register now to apply
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology offers PhD programmes in almost all specializations of Engineering, Technology, Management and Sciences in various Departments/Schools of the University (currently around 749 PhD candidates are working for their PhD degrees in the University).
Here are the various streams available at TIET:
Agro-Biotechnology, Immunology and cancer biology, Plant Biotechnology, Bioremediation, Microbial Ecology, Food Technology, Food process and Safety, Plant Microbe Interaction, Tissue culture, Sustainable Agriculture, Bioinformatics, Areas of Animal Biotechnology & drug discovery and Microbial Concrete.
Chemical Engineering Department
Modeling and Simulation, Molecular Modeling, CFD Modelling, Catalysis, Environment Pollution, Polymers, Composites and Nanocomposites, Mass Transfer, Bio-Chemical Engineering, Heat Transfer, Nanofluids, Pulp and Paper, Energy Management, Membrane Separation.
Civil Engineering Department
Structural Engineering, Geo-technical Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Construction Engineering and Management and Computer Aided Design, Water Resource Engineering.
Computer Science & Engineering Department
Parallel and Distributed Computing, Software Engineering, Network and Information Security, Soft Computing, Wireless and Sensor Networks, Theoretical Computer Science.
Electrical & Instrumentation Engineering Department
Optimal Power System Operation, Electric Drives, Application of FACTS, Power Electronics, Process Control & Instrumentation, Artificial Intelligence Applications, Biomedical Instrumentation, Embedded systems, Virtual Instrumentation, Control System.
Electronics & Communication Engineering Department
RF Devices, Antennas and Micro-wave integrated circuits, solid State & thin films, Digital Signal processing; VLSI, Wireless Communication, Optical Communication, Opto Electronics.
Mechanical Engineering Department
Fluid and Thermal, Heat Transfer, IC Engines, Particle and Bulk Solids Technologies, Energy Conservation and Management, Energy Conversion Systems, MR Fluids, Nano-fluids, Biomass Gasification, Nano-fluids, Two-phase Flow, Solar Energy, Bio-mass gasification, Tribology, Bearings & Lubrication, Computer Aided Analysis & Design, Flexible Manipulators, Finite Element Analysis, Industrial Engineering, Robotics and Vehicle dynamics, Modelling of multibody systems, Control of Under-actuated Systems, Mechanics of Composite Structures, Fluid Mechanics, Technology Management, Materials and Metallurgy, Manufacturing/Production Engineering, Vibration, Rotor Dynamics, Acoustics and aeroacoustics, Flexible and Redundant Manipulators, Medical and Surgical robots, Applied Optimization, Micro-machining, Exo-skeleton, Magnetic Assisted Nano-finishing, Advanced Manufacturing Processes.
L M Thapar School of Management
Finance, Marketing, Information Systems, OB & HR, International Management and (add) Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation (add), Operations, Behavioral Decision Science, Quantitative Culture Studies (delete), Academic & Corporate Leadership (delete), Energy and Sustainability, Education Management and Leadership (add).
School of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Organometallic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry/Inorganic Chemistry/ Photocatalysis/ Nanomaterials/ Bio-physical Chemistry.
School of Energy and Environment
Environmental Technology & Management, Environmental Engineering, and Bioremediation.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Industrial Management, Business Economics, Intellectual Property Rights, E-Business, Finance, Organizational Behavior, Cognitive & Experimental Psychology, Counselling and Clinical Psychology.
School of Mathematics
Algebra; Astrophysics; Computational Fluid dynamics; Differential Equations; Fourier Analysis; Functional Analysis; fuzzy sets; Nonlinear analysis; Fluid Dynamics, MHD, Number Theory; Operations Research; Reliability; Soft computing; Theory of Elasticity; Wavelet Analysis.
School of Physics & Materials Science
Solid State Physics, Materials Science, Nano Science, Liquid Crystal, Electro ceramics Smart Materials, Magnetic Material, Condensed Matter Physics, Nuclear Physics, Functional Materials, Energy Materials, Metals and Alloys, composites and Polymers, Nonlinear Optics, Thin Film Solar cell, Computational Soft Condense Matter Physics.
- A candidate seeking admission to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must have obtained M.E./M.Tech./M.Phil./MCA/M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./C.A. or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 6.00 on a 10-point scale or 55% marks in aggregate where marks are awarded OR GATE/NET(UGC/CSIR) qualified.
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech. degree or equivalent with excellent academic record (minimum CGPA of 9.00 on 10-point scale or 80% marks in aggregate) may be considered for admission.
- Part-Time studies leading to Ph.D. degree are permitted for professionally employed personnel. Part-time studies leading to Ph.D. shall also be permitted to persons working in Institutions with which a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed for research purposes. Such a candidate must be in employment at the time of admission and be engaged in professional work in the area in which admission is sought.
- Admission of a Ph.D. candidate in a department/school other than his/her basic background: Suitability of a candidate is the purview of admission committee, if a candidate qualifies the test and interview then he/she should be allowed to pursue Ph.D. Program. However, the admission committee may recommend additional courses for the candidate to clear.
- Candidates shall be admitted on the basis of merit of Entrance Test and Interview to be conducted by the Institute. The candidates who secure minimum of 50% (45% for SC/ST)marks in the written exam shall only be called for Interview. During interview, a candidate is required to indicate area of research.
- Every admitted candidate shall have to do course work for a minimum of one semester. The course work shall include at least three courses, namely, a course on research methodology (may include quantitative methods and computer Applications) or a course proposed by the Admission Committee (for those who have studied a similar course on Research Methodology at PG level), a professional course (if not offered by any Department/ School, its syllabus to be proposed by the allocated supervisor and approved by DoAA) and a seminar (Relevant in the area of research). Minimum credits for the course work shall be 11 including a seminar of 4 credits. The process of registration in the course work, examination, evaluation and grading shall be same as followed for UG/PG programmes.
Relaxation in CGPA to 7.00 on a 10-point scale or in marks to 65% for the minimum eligibility conditions may be permitted for candidates with a B.E./B.Tech. degree or equivalent who have a minimum of 3 years of professional and/or research experience in the area in which the admission is sought. However, candidates admitted with B.E./B.Tech. or equivalent qualification will be admitted for Ph.D. after successful completion of eight Masters level courses as suggested by the PhD Admission Committee of concerned Department/School, within a period of two years from the date of admission. A minimum CGPA of 6.00 on a 10-point scale should be earned in the courses prescribed by the concerned Department/School.
Relaxation for appearing in the Entrance Test may be given by the University to those candidates who have qualified GATE/NET(UGC/CSIR).
Only those candidates who successfully complete the course work within one year of admission and with a minimum CGPA of 6.00 on 10.00-point scale shall be registered in the PhD programme.
Every candidate will be required to submit research proposal, duly recommended by the Supervisor(s), after successful completion of the course work (December 31 shall be taken as date of completion of course work for odd semester and June 30 shall be taken as date of completion for even semester). The minimum time period to submit the research proposal shall be one semester from the date of admission and maximum time allowed to submit the research proposal shall be one year from the date of admission.
Research proposal will be submitted to the concerned Head of the Department/School. In case of non-submission of proposal within one year, DoRSP on the recommendations of the Supervisor and Head of the Department/School may grant an extension for a maximum period of six months.
If the candidate fails to submit the proposal even during the extended period, her/his admission will be cancelled. In case the proposal is rejected by the URB, she may resubmit it within next six months starting the date of meeting of URB failing which her/his admission will be cancelled.
(a) Part-time candidates are required to submit the "No Objection Certificate" from their parent organization/department/employer stating that the candidate is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis and that the candidate’s official duties permit her/him to devote sufficient time for course work and research.
(b) In case of FN candidates, Research VISA endorsed to TU is required.
Relaxation for appearing in the Entrance Test may be given by the University to those candidates who have qualified GATE/NET(UGC/CSIR).
Candidates seeking admission in Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University shall fill up the online application form available on our website www.thapar.edu. The candidates are required to fill complete details in the online form. Follow the process mentioned as under for filling up online application form:
Step 1: Click on "Apply Online" link on home page of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University website www.thapar.edu Step 2: You will reach the landing page of online application form of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University where you will fill a small registration form and click on 'Submit'. Step 3: Check your email for login credentials. Click on the link in the email to login directly into your profile. Step 4: Fill the first segment of the form which is mandatory information and is non-editable at a later stage. Step 5: Choose a payment method – online or DD – to move towards the final step. Step 6: Complete the form and take a print out.
If you have filled the application form and paid the application fee successfully through online mode, then you will receive the confirmation by email regarding the acceptance of your online application form. In case you choose the option of making payment through Demand Draft (DD), then you will receive the confirmation by email regarding the acceptance of your online application form after the University receives your filled Application Form along with DD through Registered Post/Courier/Speed Post or by hand at the following address:
"In-charge Admission Cell" Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University, Patiala (Punjab)-147 004.
After filling the online application form, take two printouts of the form.
If Application Fee is paid Online: The candidates are not required to send the printout of application form but they must produce it at the time of document checking of original documents during ‘In-person’ counselling. If Application Fee is paid through DD: Please send one of the printouts by attaching DD of required amount as mentioned in filled online Application Form/Prospectus (in favour of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology and payable at Patiala) to "In-charge Admission Cell" Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University, Patiala (Punjab)-147 004.
Retain second copy of the printout of the form to be produced at the time of document checking of original documents during ‘In-person’ counselling. For candidates seeking admission under Sports category in the 1st year of BE/BTech: Candidates must have done 10+2 from schools located in Punjab and have sports gradation certificate (Grade A/B/C) issued by Director Sports Punjab. Such candidates must send the photocopy of the gradation certificate along with printout of application form. The other eligibility conditions will remain same as applicable to General category students.
For candidates seeking admission under Backward Class (BC) category in the 1st year of BE/BTech: Candidates must have done 10+2 from schools located in Punjab and have valid BC certificate issued by competent authority from the state of Punjab. The other eligibility conditions will remain same as applicable to General category students.
Important Note: A candidate cannot claim admission merely by filling the application form and paying the application fee. If he/she fulfils the eligibility criteria as per the prospectus, only then he/she shall be considered for admission during counselling. So, candidates are advised to read eligibility and other conditions before filling the form.
- The original certificates and set of attested copies of the certificates are required to be produced at the time of document checking during ‘In-person’ counselling.
- Every candidate must indicate in his/her application the category for which he/she wants to apply. A copy of the certificate of the concerned reserved category (if applicable) shall be attached.
- Application completed in all respects should reach the "INCHARGE ADMISSION CELL", Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University, PATIALA-147004, on or before the last prescribed date of the respective programs as mentioned in the Prospectus.
- Incomplete application form in any manner and received after the due date/time will be rejected. The University does not take any responsibility for postal delay or loss in transit of the application form, demand draft, withdrawal form or any other communication in this regard.
- The specimens of the format of the required certificates are available on our website for the guidance of candidates. Each certificate must be submitted on the prescribed format and must be issued by the competent authority as mentioned, under proper seal/stamp of their office on a date prior to or on the last date for submission of application form.
PENALTY FOR WRONG INFORMATION/SUPPRESSION OF INFORMATION.
If at any stage it is found that a candidate has concealed, suppressed or distorted any information/fact, in the application form, his/her admission to the University, if granted, shall stand cancelled. He/she will have no claim, whatsoever, against the University.
- The provisions of Prospectus 2017-18 may be changed by the competent authority without any notice.
- In case of any dispute, the decision of the Director, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University, Patiala shall be final and binding on the candidates.
For admission to BE/BTech (except B.Tech – Biotechnology) programs on the basis of JEE (Main)-2017 Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination (10+2) are also eligible to apply. Such candidates will be placed provisionally in the merit list. They will not be considered for admission if they fail to submit proof of passing the qualifying examination at the time of counselling.
For admission to B.Tech – Biotechnology programme on the basis of NEET-2017
Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination (10+2) are also eligible to apply. Such candidates will be placed provisionally in the merit list. They will not be considered for admission if they fail to submit proof of passing the qualifying examination at the time of counselling.
For admission to programs other than BE/BTech
Candidates appearing in the final exam of the qualifying degree/diploma (for LEET) are also eligible to apply. Such candidates have to furnish following undertaking at the time of counselling.
- "I am applying on my own risk and responsibility as my final result of the Qualifying exam has not been declared.
- I do hereby declare that I do not have any backlog paper in any of the previous semesters (Years) of study of the qualifying exam and also I do not expect any backlog in my final exam.
- I assure you that I will produce the proof of passing of my Qualifying examination with the minimum percentage of marks required on or before December 31, 2017, failing which my admission shall stand cancelled and I shall not claim any right on any count whatsoever."
For admission to BE/BTech Lateral Entry (LEET) Program
If the candidate is applying in two different groups (as mentioned in the brochure) for admission to LEET programmes than he/she has to select additional group with requisite fee for each group. However, if the candidate is applying for only one group then he needs to fill only one application form along with the requisite fee.
For admission to ME/MTech programs
For all the ME/MTech programs offered by a particular department/school single application form is required to be filled. However, if candidate wants to apply for ME/MTech program of other department/school also, he/she is required to select an additional department/school along with requisite application fee.
For admission to MSc and MA programs
Candidates applying for more than one discipline of MSc, MA programmes are required to fill single application form along with requisite application fee.
For admission to MCA (2-yr) and MCA (3-yr) programs
Candidates who are eligible to apply for MCA (2-yr) and MCA (3-yr) both programs required to fill single application form along with requisite application fee.
For admission to PhD programs
For all PhD programs offered by a particular department/school, single application form is required to be filled. However, if candidate want to apply for PhD program of other department/school also, then he/she is required to select an additional department/school along with requisite application fee.
Last date for receipt of completed application forms: June 30, 2018 (for odd semester) December 13, 2018, (for even semester)
Date of Qualifying Test: July 9-10, 2018 (for odd semester- offline test) December 18-19, 2018 (for even semester- offline test)
Centre for Offline Entrance Test: Patiala
Display of Result of Entrance Test : July 13, 2018 (for odd semester) January 4, 2019 (for even semester)